Section 21 Notice

section 21 notice

When can I serve a Section 21 Notice on my tenant?

A Section 21 Notice operates under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988. It is the notice a landlord can give to a tenant to regain possession of a property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). The landlord does not need a specific reason for serving a section 21 notice.

A landlord has the legal right to retain possession at the end of a tenancy but it is significant that they follow the correct legal procedures. This procedure is the section 21 notice which now according to the Housing Act 1996, must be given to the tenant in writing. If you would like to serve a section 21 notice we recommend you hand this to the tenant in person. Failing to do this may resolute in the tenant denying they have received it which would slow down the tenant eviction process. So, why not act quickly and serve a section 21 notice with Regency Law today. We will take the stress away from you and deal with it efficiently so you don’t have to.

If a landlord wants to regain possession before the end of the agreed term, this may be possible, but certain conditions must have been met, such as the tenant not paying rent. So to regain possession before the end of the agreed term the first step would be to serve a section 8 notice

For more information on how to serve a section 21 notice, or if you have any questions relating to any situation you may need to evict a tenant, speak to our tenant eviction solicitors by calling 01293 525665 or visit our main website which highlights many tenant eviction related issues. We are experts at tenant eviction – let us deal with the legal stuff so you don’t have the stress!